The FLEURY Champagne House is a family estate from Aubois, pioneer in biodynamic cultivation, whose champagnes are now harvesting the fruits of rigorous work on the soil. The champagnes here have an amazing precision, straightness and digestibility. An intensity of flavors out of the ordinary for Champagne, in vintages dominated by the vinous and generous expression of pinot noir. A very high level of range, which is greeted in all guides. Find these organic champagnes that are now found on the greatest tables and in our store.
The Fleury champagne house in Courteron
The history of the great Champagne House
Innovation has been the guiding principle of the Fleury family for generations. Each one of them has indeed distinguished itself by an innovative approach in difficult times: we will remember the audacity of Emile Fleury, a master grafter graduated in 1894, who was the first to plant grafted Pinot Noirs in the region after the devastating invasion of phylloxera in the early 20th century.
In 1929, when the economic crisis ruined the small winegrowers, Robert Fleury, his son, dared to create his own champagne to save his harvest: he became one of the first "récoltants-manipulants" of the southern Champagne region. They are now called "creators of winegrowers' champagnes".
In 1970, he passed the baton to Jean-Pierre Fleury who was the first in Champagne to convert his vineyard to biodynamics, in 1989 for a part of it, then in 1992 for the whole of it.
His daughter Morgane Fleury is not to be outdone: actress and sommelier, she imagines an innovative concept of champagne cellar and wines of authors, an eco-logical cellar in the heart of Paris.
Her son Jean-Sébastien also innovates: he experiments with grafting on a vineyard and reintroduces horse work on certain plots. He has installed a "gallery of tuns" and created the first sulphur-free wine of the domain.
His other son, Benoît, is currently experimenting with massal selection and agroforestry, as a new way of cultivating the vine, in symbiosis with an adapted environment.
The expression of the terroir of Champagnes Fleury
Our vineyard is anchored since 1895 in the heart of the southern Champagne region, in Courteron, in the Côte des Bar, south of the Aube, where the first tributaries of the Seine meet. Facing South/South-West, our vines are located on the hillsides of the valleys shaped by these ancient rivers.
They total 15 hectares, 85% of which are planted with Pinot Noir, 10% with Chardonnay, the rest with Pinot Blanc (a historical grape variety in Champagne), Pinot Gris (replanted in 2010) and Pinot Meunier. Our oldest vines were planted in 1970, and we replant every year to maintain the quality and the dynamics of the vines.
Our parcels have very particular names, stemming from a tradition of local micro-toponymy, giving the land a name related to its orientation, the depth of its soils or its attractiveness for birds!
Our terroir, in the extreme south of the Champagne region, benefits from a very particular geology, formed in the Kimmeridgian, at the time of the Upper Jurassic. The subsoil is essentially made up of marly limestone, or clay-limestone, excellent vineyard land, whose slopes drain naturally.
For the vine, the subsoil is much more important than the soil itself, it has a direct influence on the wines. A cross-section of the terroir, visible in the reception hall of our company, highlights the role of the roots: thanks to more than 30 years of biodynamic soil work.